Head of Administration
The Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, located in the Hanseatic and University City of Rostock, is one of the leading demographic centers in the world, with a current workforce of approx. 135. It is part of the Max Planck Society, a network of over 80 institutes that together form Germany’s premier basic-research organization. We are recruiting a
Head of Administration
in permanent, full-time position and to start as soon as possible.
- Providing advice to the directors, in particular the managing director, on issues of budget, procurement and labor law;
- preparing and updating organizational regulations, such as Institute regulations, the Institute’s By-Laws, signatory rights, and regulations for specific areas;
- leading the Administration team of currently 12 employees;
- issuing instructions to the units of Administration and General Services;
- formulating and monitoring the annual budget and third-party funded projects;
- managing the budget plan in accordance with HGB guidelines and in compliance with the management and financial accounting principles of the Max Planck Society;
- monitoring financial transaction and conducting financial audits;
- ensuring the quality of service at the Institute to the scientists;
- responsible execution of tasks as to procurement involving high financial costs, from tender to contract negotiations to contract conclusion;
- drawing up fee-based as well as service contracts;
- managing the staff appointment scheme;
- cooperating with the Works Council;
- responsibility in matters of occupational health and safety, prevention, and responsibility for all organizational and operational safety matters;
- leading the Safety Committee;
- contact person to the Administrative Headquarters of the Max Planck Society.
- A Master‘s or other university degree in economics, law, administration, or related field, or an equivalent qualification;
- relevant work experience in finance, procurement, and human resources, ideally in a research environment or at a publicly funded institution;
- several years of experience in leading staff;
- a strong interest in providing services to science and in collaboration with the scientific community;
- a confident manner, diplomatic skills, and strong communication skills;
- a goal and solution-oriented spirit, decision-making skills, assertiveness;
- a good grasp of concepts, methodical competence, and an analytic mind;
- time flexibility, stress resilience, and reliability;
- intercultural competence;
- proficiency in written and spoken German and English;
- sound knowledge of standard MS Office applications;
- adeptness in SAP;
- an interest in professional development.
- An interesting and varied position at an international research institute at the very forefront of population science;
- a highly motivated team;
- a permanent full-time position in a maritime environment (39 hours/week);
- remuneration based on the salary structure of the German public sector (Öffentlicher Dienst, TVöD Bund); company pension scheme;
- a modern, family-friendly workplace (flexible working hours, teleworking, and a guaranteed place in a daycare center if required);
- extensive opportunities for further training;
- occupational health promotion.
Did we pique your interest?
Then please submit your full application by March 7, 2021, including a covering letter, a CV, and copies of certificates in one pdf file and in German, using the following portal: https://www.demogr.mpg.de/go/JobAd739645
Our institute values diversity and is engaged in employing individuals from minorities. The Max Planck Society is committed to increasing the representation of people with physical disabilities. Individuals with severe disability are especially welcome to apply. Further, our Institute and the Max Planck Society seek to increase the proportion of women in areas where they are underrepresented and thus explicitly encourages women to apply.
For inquiries or contact, please get in touch with Dr. Beatrice Michaelis, Chief Research Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research
Chief Research Coordination
For information about the Institute, please see www.demogr.mpg.de.